April 10, 2012

SMACK!

Today jealously tossed it's angry hand toward my face and slapped the taste out of my mouth.  I lifted my head, spat out the blood, and iced my swelling lips. 
-Jay Wall-

It's funny how the smallest words can trigger such furious emotions to hit you.  "My great great great grandfather" were those words for me today.  They struck me so deeply because I, a very young woman, could only count one "great" back, and the words were being spoken by an older woman who easily counted 3 "greats" back.  As I walked a few steps ahead of the woman and her envious conversation I reminded myself that it's not about the length of the lineage line, but about the amount of impact the heritage has had.  I picked up my pace, escaped the begrudging behavior and went ahead on my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment